Director of Operations & Supply Chain
In response to continuing growth in sales, and product line expansions, Leer has exclusively retained The QTI Group to recruit for an experienced Director of Operations and Supply Chain. The successful candidate will have overall responsibility for the safety and productivity of approximately 120 employee owners, as well as the maintenance and enhancement of Leer’s two manufacturing plants covering approx. 250,000 sq. ft in New Lisbon WI. Ensuring optimal configuration, layout and scheduling the Director will ensure the meeting of agreed safety, delivery, quality and cost targets, reviewing and where necessary updating published procedures. In addition, working with the purchasing manager and other supply chain team members, the Director will oversee and optimize multi-million dollar spend across metals, paint, chemicals and other critical components serving two Wisconsin, and one Iowa manufacturing plant.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading supervisory teams at each location, prioritize, schedule and delegate work assignments, to ensure the meeting of safety and gross profit goals. Ensure that all groups meet their performance expectations and work within their budgetary constraints.
- Assist in the development of short term and long range strategies, plans, and budgets to support broader corporate goals and growth objectives.
- Review and interpret data to help drive operational and safety improvements. Evaluate the results of overall operations regularly and systematically and share findings and recommendations with other members of the senior management team.
- Collaborate routinely and systematically with other departments such as Engineering to facilitate new production development, and other product improvements ensuring appropriate design for manufacture.
- Meet with current and prospective vendors in order to validate compatibility with Leer’s operating, technical and cost requirements.
- Manage inventory within agreed budgetary constraints to ensure production and delivery at competitive lead times, whilst balancing cash flow and capital turnover goals.
- Lead, facilitate and reward a culture of Continuous Improvement, leveraging lean and 6S principles in all areas of operations.
- Lead and direct the maintenance teams to ensure continuous operation of plant and equipment, and safety and security of buildings.
- Lead, develop and manage your team, including hiring, on-boarding, coaching and disciplinary initiatives where appropriate, and with the support of HR. Seek out opportunities for team development, growth and engagement.
- Ensure compliance with all safety and work rules and regulations. Ensure the maintenance of departmental housekeeping standards.
Qualifications and/or Experience
- Requires 10 years or more of progressive experience in a fast-paced manufacturing environment, preferably in a related industry. A bachelors or masters degree in operations management or similar is highly desirable.
- A demonstrable track record of improvement initiatives, and the ability to adapt quickly to changes in events, demand or the wider economic environment.
- A strong communicator and team player; you must have a willingness to collaborate with related departments in pursuit of common goals.