Director of Public Relations
Overture Center for the Arts
About the Opportunity
Overture Center for the Arts is looking to add a new Director of Public Relations to its team.
The Director of Public Relations uses a range of communications tools to develop the Overture Center brand and advance Overture’s public image and increase awareness of its programming throughout the greater Madison community.
The Director of Public Relations works across the organization’s leadership and functional teams to supports the CEO, Marketing & Communications, Programming, Diversity & Inclusion, Operations, Advancement, Human Resources and Finance in defining communication policy, setting strategic communication priorities and directing the internal- and external-facing work.
The Director of Public Relations is responsible for the overall branding and messaging for Overture, and for ensuring a prominent public profile for Overture and its work, including the work of Overture resident arts companies and community partners.
The Director of Public Relations is responsible for meeting publication sales and other program-related goals, and the effective management of departmental resources including support staff.
The Director of Public Relations will oversee institutional and product messaging to key internal and external audiences with the goal of increasing effective and meaningful communications organizationally, including through the creation and development of new Overture Center publications.
The Director of Public Relations will serve as liaison to media outlets with the support of the Media Relations Manager, who will report to the Director of Public Relations.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the brand identity; broaden awareness of Overture programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key audiences. Coordinate and oversee the development of communications related to the institution and to ticketed and non-ticketed events programmed by Overture Center staff and outside promoters.
- Write and distribute news releases, emails, advertisements, and social media promotions.
- Supervise and execute media appearances for visiting artists and staff.
- Collect and distribute background information, photographs, video and other marketing materials.
- Promote storylines to editors and media contacts.
- Act as Overture Center’s public spokesperson.
- Identify opportunities, challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization.
- Work with management team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as communications counsellor to leadership and oversee production of the center’s Annual Report to the Community.
- Assist in strategy and program development to advertise and promote Overture Center, research markets to target publicity efforts, assist with the design and implementation of market research projects, and execute programs.
- Collaborate with the Digital Media Manager to maintain institutional messaging on the overture.org website, including creating and maintaining production pages and blog content.
Qualifications and Attributes Sought
- At least 10 years’ experience in public/media relations, professional journalism experience in print and/or broadcast media, cultural communications/arts or other closely related communications field. At least 5 years’ experience in a management role.
- Demonstrated success directing, planning and coordinating communications activities and public relations campaigns and publishing physical and electronic publications.
- Proven track record of writing, editing and producing publications.
- Working knowledge of print, electronic and broadcast media.
- Ability to analyze market suitability and cultivate beneficial media relations and a strong media presence.
- Ability to convey subject matter and promote events and story ideas to editors and media contacts.
- Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking skills and an ability to write and deliver presentations.
- Ability to effectively manage and mentor the Media Relations Manager, who will report directly to the Director of Public Relations.
- Ability to organize activities, establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Journalism, Communications, English, Marketing, or Public Relations; or equivalent in education and related experience.