Vice President of Marketing
Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau
The Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau (GMCVB) is dedicated to creating economic impact through tourism. The effects of their "invisible industry" benefit everyone living in Dane County in key areas including jobs, community services and quality of life. The latest economic impact data released by the Wisconsin Department of Tourism indicates the strength of the tourism industry—particularly in Dane County, where we experienced a 6.2% increase in tourism dollars spent compared to the prior year. This exceptional growth reflects the strategic and focused efforts the GMCVB devotes to our local economy.
What They Do:
- Attract new conventions, sporting events and competitions to the community
- Provide expert service and support to existing and repeat events
- Share comprehensive and easy-to-access information with visitors
- Conduct and analyze tourism research
- Build our local economy!
Why it Matters:
- Tourism may be an invisible industry, but in 2016, visitors contributed $2.1 billion dollars in total business sales, which supported more than 21,600 full-time equivalent jobs in Dane County. That’s 11.2% of tourism-related jobs in the entire state.
- In the absence of the state and local taxes generated by tourism, each Dane County household would need to pay $720 to maintain the current level of government services.
- Tourism is often the first impression of the community for potential business investors and innovators who may become residents that, in turn, expand the community’s intellectual capacity and growth. The Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau’s efforts help make an impactful impression of the greater Madison area.
The Vice President of Marketing leads the strategic development, planning, coordination and execution of all activities related to marketing greater Madison as a tourism, conventions, events and sports destination. Provides direction and leadership in the development of comprehensive, integrated marketing initiatives to fulfill the mission and strategic plan of the organization. Oversight of brand management, market research, marketing communications, digital marketing and advertising.
- Serve as the primary architect of the organization’s marketing strategies.
- Lead the development and implementation of fresh, creative and robust marketing strategies that support the organization mission and goals, including but not limited to:
- Positioning the organization as a regional economic development engine
- Positioning the destination as a premier location for local, regional, national and international conventions, events and leisure visitation
- Supports achievement of the convention sales, services, partnership and sports team goals
- Prepare short and long-term marketing strategic plans; prepare and manage annual marketing budget and marketing plan.
- Lead, mentor, manage and develop a robust and collaborative marketing team.
- Represent the organization within the industry and community; attend and engage in relevant industry and community events and trade shows.
- Engage in organization leadership as part of the Management Team; support development of organization policies and processes; engage in organization strategic planning.
- Manage key marketing vendor relationships, including CMS vendor and external marketing agencies and suppliers.
- Oversee marketing research required for marketing strategy development and decision making.
- Lead and direct content development and oversight for marketing channels and platforms including digital, social, and web.
- Direct and manage cooperative marketing campaigns.
- Oversee all marketing execution to ensure brand standards are maintained.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with major course work in marketing, communications or a related field.
- Ten or more years of proven marketing experience in positions of increasing responsibility with at least two years in a leadership role.
- Proven and successful management of a department or functional area.
- Understanding of current marketing technologies and ability to quickly learn and deploy new technology to support marketing strategies and objectives.
- Exceptional writing skills including the ability set tone and style for different audiences.
- Demonstrated expertise in leading both B2B and B2C strategies and teams preferred.
- Requires thorough understanding of marketing principles, practices and management with preferred background in DMO/tourism, hotel, attraction or other related travel industry environment.
- Strong leadership skills, financial management and budgeting ability.
- Ability to perform consistently in a fast-paced multi-task environment.
- Flexible and able to work outside traditional office hours, as needed.
- Ability to work strategically with community, business, industry and political leadership.
- Ability to work in teams and individually.
- Skilled in professional and persuasive communication including listening, verbal and written, as well as presentations and public speaking.
- Strong written communication skills including copywriting, grant writing and proofreading.
- Management skills including mentoring, motivating, and monitoring a team and contributing as a visionary/strategic/critical thinker.