Chief Development Officer
Second Harvest Foodbank of Southern Wisconsin
Responsibilities & Essential Functions
Major Donor Stewardship
- Build upon a successful development strategy with new ideas, clear communication of fundraising goals, and effective processes.
- Develop and expand a portfolio of major gift prospects by building relationships for the purpose of discovery, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Implement methods to capture and report on pertinent donor/prospect information in donor database. Ensure confidentiality and security of all donor related information.
- Conduct and support the networking, identification, cultivation, and retention of donors.
Management of Development Team
- Provide vision, strategic direction, mentorship, and professional evaluations & development opportunities evaluation for Development team.
- Direct hiring, training and supervision of team members, including paid staff and volunteers/interns.
- Support and empower team members to reach goals; lead team meetings to align team focus in order to increase effectiveness; ensure that employees have access to the resources needed to be successful.
- Provide coaching to ensure successful performance, and utilize performance management processes as necessary, including use of proper documentation.
- Guide and work alongside a successful development team to encourage peak performance.
Operational Strategies & Implementation
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a plan to ensure that department meets or exceeds annual development goals through a variety of strategies including direct response, events, major gifts, grants, and sponsorships.
- Provide regular reporting and analysis of solicitation efforts and donor activity across the development program to, but not limited to, President/CEO; Board of Directors; Feeding America; Finance Department.
- Collaborate with development team to ensure that research on active and prospective donors is regularly conducted and analyzed. Effectively mine the existing donor database to drive the strategies and work of the development programs.
- Work with President/CEO and Board of Directors on endowment and planned gift offerings.
- Strengthen and expand SHFB’s major gift program.
- Proactively connect all department initiatives to strengthen outcomes and prevent duplication.
- Manage direct response program with external vendor.
- Develop and monitor an effective department budget.
- Participate on the executive management team.
- Regularly communicate department activities and initiatives to other SHFB departments.
- Provide support and liaison to other Foodbank constituents; Operations, Agency Services, Board of Directors, other Foodbanks, and the national office, where relevant and appropriate.
- Work in conjunction with and communicate with Foodbank Finance department.
- Work in partnership with the Marketing and Communications Department to strategize and leverage resources for the highest development and fundraising potential.
Skills, Competencies, and Experience
- Demonstrated leadership through an aspirational vision, clear processes, and a proactive, can-do attitude; ability to prioritize and engage staff around key objectives necessary to achieve organization goals.
- Experience leading direct solicitation and oversight of major gifts program, fundraising events, and grant management. Extensive background directing fund development plans and activities and working 1:1 with donors.
- Proven leadership by example and with humility; ability to motivate a team to perform to the best of their abilities; accepting of constructive feedback from others.
- Results-oriented, strategic thinking, with the ability to collaborate and integrate initiatives with other departments. Ability to delegate work assignments, empowering team to work independently and set expectations.
- Innovative and forward thinking; listens for emerging trends from staff and community; able to translate new ideas into action.
- Excellent relationship building skills with ability to communicate and work effectively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A sense of humor, integrity, entrepreneurial spirit, calm under fire, and a commitment to striving for continuous improvement.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university; minimum of three years supervisory experience.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and to gather and analyze information skillfully to make sound decisions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to relate well to all levels of SHFB; ability to build appropriate rapport, constructive and effective relationships, and to communicate the branded message internally and externally (mission, vision, values).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively coach and mentor team members.
- Ability to leverage resources within the function and across the organization to achieve desired outcomes.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of the following computer software programs.
- Microsoft Office Suite – specifically Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficient with Web Research
- Experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge, including Target Analytics and ResearchPoint, desired.