Director of Finance & Operations
The QTI Group has been exclusively retained by Make-A-Wish Wisconsin to recruit for their new Director of Finance & Operations. The Director of Finance and Operations directs and is responsible for managing all aspects of Make-A-Wish Wisconsin’s business operations including finance, budgeting and data, administration, human resources, audit and compliance, in accordance with the performance standards and policies and procedures set by Make-A-Wish America and Make-A-Wish Wisconsin. The Director of Finance and Operations provides organization-wide oversight and strategic thought on all finance and operations. This position reports to the President & CEO and is a key member of the chapter’s senior leadership team.
- Oversee, review and maintain all aspects of the chapter’s accounting functions on an accrual method of accounting including accounts payable, receivables, cash receipts, deposits, cash disbursements, in-kinds, fixed assets, depreciation, inventory, all transactions related to the general ledger, bank and investment reconciliations, etc.
- Serve as the chapter’s key liaison with National’s Shared Financial Services (SFS) and work directly with them to assure preparation of accurate and timely monthly financial statements. Monitor financial budget variances and prepare monthly financial reports to management and Board of Directors.
- Work with the CEO, management team and Board’s Finance committee to develop the Chapter’s annual budget process.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, forecasts, financial reports, financial statements, and financial trends to assist the CEO, the Board, and other senior leaders in performing their responsibilities.
- Review investment activity and prepare reports for the CEO, Finance Committee, and Board.
- Cash flow management. Review and approve check requests per chapter’s obligational authority and chart of accounts.
- Reporting and staff liaison to the Finance Committee/Board working in conjunction with the Board Treasurer.
- Support SFS in preparation and review of the annual financial audit & Form 990; serve as primary staff contact for both.
- Implement controls for fundraising events; training volunteers to handle cash according to our standards.
- Internal Event accounting. Assist with Special Events as needed.
- Lead annual Functional Time Study and review spending as it relates to our functional % ratio.
- Primary staff liaison with bank and investment managers, along with the CEO. Work with the Finance Committee to monitor the investments and ensure adequate coverage for financial needs.
- As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Finance and Operations has overall responsibility for revenue management, budget management, cost benefit analysis, forecasting needs and strategic leadership.
- Ensure compliance with all policies, performance standards and internal controls relating to accounting/legal, cash management, and investments as well as all state local and federal regulations.
- Develop, update, implement and enforce Internal Controls and Operating Policies & Procedures in accordance with National and local policies to safeguard chapter assets and operations.
- Prepare for National compliance audits to ensure Make-A-Wish Wisconsin remains in compliance in all aspects of chapter operations and to ensure transparency to the public. Train staff to remain compliant at all times.
- Complete applications for Charity Watchdog organizations.
- Maintain all Government documents, licenses, chapter legal documents, office leases and chapter historical documents.
- Maintain working knowledge of and comply with performance standards set by the National Office. Meet with President & CEO and senior staff to train and assist staff on changes to standards on an on-going basis.
Administration and Human Resources
- Manage the human resource function assuring compliance with all applicable legal requirements. Lead or participate in the recruitment, hiring and compensation of staff. Help develop and maintain all job descriptions, job postings, and lead interview process as needed. Negotiate employment terms and create offer letter.
- Develop and implement personnel policies and procedures and maintain Employee Handbook.
- Manage and process payroll and related entries including 403(b) and SEP administration.
- Oversee new employee set up, benefits, payroll enrollment and on-boarding of new employees.
- Maintain all employee files in accordance with all federal, state regulations and National Office compliance. Lead annual review process, job descriptions and employee transitions/exit interviews.
- Benefits administration and oversight. Responsible for all chapter benefits administration, including obtaining bids, negotiating costs, make recommendations, perform open enrollment and benefits meetings, process applications, claims.
- Report Statement of Values annually and update National with changes for Liability insurance.
- Remain up to date on new laws, standards, nonprofit best practices, state and federal law on nonprofit operations.
- Supervise, train, engage and mentor Accounting & Office Manager and Technology Manager. Support Database and Gift Entry Coordinator as needed. Serve as a mentor/model for all staff.
- Work with President & CEO and Senior Leadership Team on Strategic Plan and growth objectives for the organization.
- Regularly evaluate the Finance Department structure/function for continual improvement.
- Work with the CEO to support the Board of Directors, committees and task forces, including reports, as needed.
- Oversee chapter’s IT manager and technology operations including database management.
Experience and Skills
- Requires a passion for and commitment to the Make-A-Wish mission.
- Finance, HR and operations experience required; experience working as part of a senior management team desired.
- Minimum Bachelor of Arts or Science Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration required. Previous non-profit accounting, fiscal management, budgeting required with 8+ years progressive leadership experience.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented professional with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities efficiently with minimum supervision. Composure in handling difficult situations.
- Proficient technical skills using sophisticated accounting software and Microsoft Office 365. Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint). NetSuite experience a plus.
- Professional demeanor with ability to interact with employees and diverse stakeholders throughout Make-A-Wish.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal communication and customer service skills essential.
- History of managing complex projects from inception to completion including data analysis and collection.
- Ability to maintain complete confidentiality and contribute to a collaborative, team-oriented, fast-paced organization.