Director of Operations
Willy Street Co-op
The QTI Group is partnering with Willy Street Co-op to hire their next Director of Operations.
The Director of Operations provides overall strategy and leadership for operations and the purchasing function of the Willy Street Co-op according to the established Mission, Vision, and Cooperative Principles. This career professional is responsible for coordinating and standardizing practices across three retail store locations and the off-site production kitchen.
The Director of Operations reports to the General Manager, and directly or indirectly supervises all employees within the three retail store locations and the off-site production kitchen. The Chief Operations Officer is an integral member of the executive leadership team and a member of the Co-op Steering Committee.
- Establish the strategic direction of and implement best practices for overall retail operations and purchasing across three store locations and the off-site production kitchen.
- Direct the development and implementation of sales and operational initiatives and processes to ensure that organizational goals are being met.
- Develop and lead a forward-thinking, strategic vision to optimize operations.
- Develop, implement, and oversee sales strategies and performance goals; maintain detailed records for analysis, and evaluate the sales performance of locations individually and collectively
- Design and implement strategies to increase operational effectiveness and maximize long-term store performance, including strategies to increase profits
- Plan, direct, and control all prepared food production to meet operating and financial goals and customer needs across a multi-site operation
- Collaborate with Site Leads to develop and implement the infrastructure and workflow for product receiving and transfers, pricing accuracy, inventory, and logistics
- Ensure compliance with company/state policies such as safety, wage and hour, sanitation, and purchasing
- Stay current on all market conditions and industry trends to ensure that the Willy Street Co-op’s operations and purchasing strategies remain competitive and relevant
- Additional areas of responsibility include:
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Community Outreach
- Customer Experience & Satisfaction
- Financial Performance
- Human Resources in partnership with the Director of People & Culture
- Marketing & Communications in partnership with the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Planning and Leadership
- Executive Team
- Product Management, Data & Logistics
- Minimum of 7 years of experience and successful track record in cross-functional retail grocery business management, including (but not limited to) purchasing, direct/indirect procurement, marketing, department operations, and other related areas
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience with a demonstrated ability to create a healthy work environment focused on customer service and excellence
- Proven track record in retail growth and development, particularly among a diverse customer base
- Demonstrated success in process improvement, with an eye for bridging coalitions among a diverse set of stakeholders with competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to understand business direction, customer requirements, supply management, marketing strategy, and demand generation fulfillment strategy
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to present complex data sets to various audiences in an easily digestible manner
- Experience in budget planning and preparation, with a particular focus on operational efficiency
- Proven financial analysis and reporting skills, with the ability to translate complex data sets to relevant stakeholder groups
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; able to effectively collaborate with stakeholders with varying degrees of seniority, employee classifications, and lived experiences
- Ability to effectively share creative and innovative ideas to enhance the efficacy and efficiency of services to customers, employees, and external stakeholders
- Excellent cross-functional project management skills, with the ability to build consensus and collaboration across reporting structures
- Strong commitment to the vision, values, and structure of the Co-op
- A desire to address complex issues collaboratively with the General Manager, leaders, and staff
- Ability to build teams and hold others accountable in a way that builds trust and commitment
- Demonstrated skills in organization, management, and completion of multiple projects simultaneously
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
- Demonstrated application of principles related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to adapt and evolve to changing workplace norms and conditions
- Previous experience working with labor unions in a unionized environment
- Previous experience in a co-op grocery environment
- Retail local, organic, or natural foods experience
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The Willy Street Co-op embraces diversity and inclusion; we are an equal opportunity employer and do not unlawfully discriminate in employment. The Co-op is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills; and a workplace environment of mutual respect and benefit to all.