Feed My People Food Bank
We are proud to announce a leadership opportunity for someone with a passion to end hunger, and the experience to lead a dynamic organization.
Feed My People Food Bank, located in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, is conducting an executive search, with the retained assistance of The QTI Group, to hire an Executive Director.
For 37 years Feed My People Food Bank has been working to solve two problems, hunger and food waste. Feed My People rescues millions of pounds of food from manufacturers, suppliers, farmers and more; and connects it to those in west central Wisconsin who need it.
From modest origins in 1982, when six churches around Eau Claire, Wisconsin joined efforts to feed families struggling with hunger, Feed My People has grown to encompass a 45,000 square-foot warehouse, trucks, dedicated staff and an army of volunteers. Feed My People now rescues and distributes over 7 million pounds of nutritious and fresh food per year to nearly 70,000 people (including 25,000+ children), through partnerships with over 125 hunger-relief agencies and 200 programs in 14 west central Wisconsin counties.
The Executive Director has responsibility for overall leadership, planning, and management of operations and resources of Feed My People, in accordance with the strategic direction, mission, vision, and policies set by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director is responsible for developing effective working relationships and collaborating with the Board of Directors, employees, donors, partner agencies, the public, and other key stakeholders to ensure the financial health of Feed My People, allowing for efficient distribution of food and programming to ensure access to nutritious food throughout west central Wisconsin.
Additionally, the Executive Director is responsible for articulating the problem of hunger and Feed My People’s response to stakeholders, including the Board of Directors, staff, volunteers, donors, member agencies, policymakers and the general public. The Executive Director will strive to build these constituencies into an effective team to work toward the elimination of hunger in the Feed My People service area.
Community Resource Management
The Executive Director provides a strong presence in the community and builds relationships in the community, with business leaders, government agencies, strategic partners and beyond to ensure the continued success of our mission. In leading community resource management, the Executive Director will:
- Identify and develop new initiatives, strategic partnerships and cooperative efforts for programs and funding that benefit Feed My People
- Represent Feed My People in the local community and state, when appropriate
- Stay abreast of local hunger issues to ensure services provided are those most needed to meet community needs
- Direct staff to ensure compliance with Second Harvest Heartland and Feeding America standards
- Lead constituencies in the work to end hunger
The Executive Director is responsible for fostering philanthropy, coordinating and supporting the priorities and activities of fundraising, and development of Feed My People in collaboration with the Board. The Executive Director will:
- Cultivate and solicit new donors and maintain a strong stewardship program for existing donors
- Foster business, corporate and foundation gifts
- Work toward a diversified funding base to include corporate, foundation, government, special event, direct mail, web-based fundraising strategies, etc.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to develop and implement fund raising strategies
- Oversee guidelines for donor stewardship and recognition
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Feed My People’s development programs and makes recommendations to the Board for implementing innovative strategies for continually improving Feed My People’s impact, effectiveness, and quality of fundraising activities
Operations Management, Financial Oversight, and Administration
The Executive Director is responsible for general oversight of all activities, manage day-to-day operations and assure a smoothly functioning, efficient organization. This includes protection of the organization’s financial and human assets. Specifically, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for hiring/dismissal decisions for all paid staff, and supervision and evaluation of all direct reports
- In cooperation with the Human Resources Committee, assure appropriate compensation, benefits and training for all staff
- Oversee finances including annual budget, cash flow, accounting procedures and reports
- Oversee and execute all contracts, legal and insurance matters in the best interest of Feed My People
Leadership and Accountability to Board of Directors
- Support the food bank’s Board of Directors, working with board committees on policies and programs to enhance the organization’s ability to carry out its mission
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors and staff, develop and monitor a strategic plan to guide Feed My People
- Develop with the staff and recommend to the Board of Directors specific, long and short-term plans for the development of programs and services, including strategies for implementation and funding
- Provide leadership for board meetings by preparing and sending an agenda, financial information, committee minutes and any other pertinent information to all board members prior to board meetings; and support all committee and board meetings, as needed
- Support the recruitment, orientation and training of members of the Board
Feed My People is seeking candidates with …
- Honesty, integrity, and a commitment to the mission of Feed My People
- A record of progressive advancement in executive leadership over several years; preference given to candidates with previous experience in nonprofit management, food banking or food industry management, those with an understanding of complex issues related to hunger, and those with experience working with low-income families
- Strong leadership skills, notably:
- Strategic thinking and business acumen, with an ability to plan, organize and implement activities appropriate to the advancement of organizational goals
- Dedication to building and leading diverse and inclusive teams, and working with diverse populations
- Ability to work effectively with volunteer boards and committees
- Experience supervising and managing people with a collaborative leadership style
- A history of success leading fundraising efforts for charitable causes
- Knowledge of organizational planning and human resource management for human service systems
- Financial acumen including the ability to plan, monitor, and evaluate budgets
- Computer experience and knowledge of common business productivity tools, including MS Excel
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required, with public presentation experience and strong interpersonal and networking abilities
- Ability to work at a fast pace and handle multiple projects simultaneously with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Ability to travel, providing one’s own transportation
This is a great opportunity for someone with a passion to end hunger, and the experience to lead a dynamic organization.