Interstate Postgraduate Medical Association
The QTI Group has exclusively partnered with Interstate Postgraduate Medical Association (IPMA) to recruit for their next Executive Director. The Executive Director of Interstate Postgraduate Medical Association will be responsible for overseeing the development and dissemination of educational and quality-focused program & products, and the operations and strategic direction of this longstanding organization. Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, this individual will also oversee business development, marketing, and outreach to IPMA stakeholders. Proud of its past, and bullish about the future, IPMA’s next Executive Director will lead a strategic and entrepreneurial business model which will diversify funding sources and provide revenue growth to support its mission, allowing IPMA to rely less on grant funding. With the board’s support, this leader will expand the ASCENT program to be the premier source of education and thought leadership for physicians and other leaders in health care, to address the evolving needs of patients today and into the future. The Executive Director will support a team of subject matter experts to do their best work, providing them with the opportunity and the tools to further develop their own knowledge and skills while building critically relevant programs and services to improve health outcomes. This is essentially a virtually -based organization, though the “home base” has been Madison, WI. This leader should reside within a reasonable driving distance of Madison.
Programs and Relationships
- Serve as the spokesperson and ambassador for IPMA and ensure continued collaborative relationships with IPMA partners.
- Oversee the application for and receipt of accreditation approval from ACCME, AAFP, ABMS, and other medical specialty organizations as approved and designated by the Board.
- Explore needs for future programming with partners, stakeholders and staff, and develop strategies to meet the needs.
- Maintain strong relationships with board members and other healthcare thought leaders to help IPMA deliver stronger patient outcomes with preventative and innovative education for medical practitioners.
Personnel Leadership & Management
- Lead and support staff to provide programs and services to enhance the wise use of health resources; ensure all aspects of operations are run with integrity and efficiency.
- Ensure the development and implementation of effective HR practices including hiring, training, performance appraisal, and team building.
- Promote a flexible work environment that builds and maintains trust, equity & diversity of thought and personalities, all heard and welcomed.
- Hire, terminate, regularly review performance of direct reports.
- Provide ongoing coaching and mentoring to ensure all staff are supported to do their best work; provide opportunity for continual performance improvement.
Financial Performance and Viability
- Develop and diversify revenues necessary to support IPMA’s mission.
- Provide fiscal oversight operating within the approved budget, ensuring maximum resource utilization, and ensuring the financial strength of IPMA into the future.
- Provide timely financial reports which accurately reflect the current financial condition of the organization.,
- Secure grants from outside sources, making certain any such support meets the standards of ACCME and other relevant accreditation bodies.
- Seek opportunities to convert successful grant work to products with recurring revenue which will support the delivery of superior preventative health care.
- Lead IPMA in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Harness the wealth of talent and the collective knowledge of board members to creatively and proactively focus on providing patients with access to thoughtful treatment and relief of suffering.
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide timely and accurate information and reporting necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Inform the Board of key performance aspects of the organization and assist in setting strategic direction to fulfill the mission of improved healthcare. Facilitate the assessment of opportunities with a keen vision for future needs.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required
- A clear passion for improving patient outcomes through proactive education of healthcare providers.
- Demonstrated leadership and management capabilities with seven or more years of progressive senior management experience.
- Experience working with or reporting to a Board of Directors.
- Success in creating and taking new products and services to market to meet the needs of an evolving consumer or client.
- Expertise in successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results against a timeline.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and to gather and analyze information skillfully to make sound decisions.
- Proven ability to manage and lead a strategic planning process to implement smart and effective actions to bring additional value to healthcare providers.
- Exceptional communication and relationship management skills with and among board, members, staff, and healthcare partners locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Proven ability to successfully develop and manage a budget and forecast with a “no-suprises” approach to financial management.
- Excellent written and oral communication including a comfort with public speaking as the face of IPMA.
- Willingness and ability to travel to Madison, WI occasionally for meetings.
- A Master’s Degree in Business, Health Administration, or Population/Public Health desired, not required.
- Mission-Focused: Possesses a sincere passion for the IPMA mission with the ability to articulate the mission across all key stakeholder groups.
- Relationship-Oriented: Astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborative: Meaningfully engages partners for improved and continuous healthcare education. Acts with integrity and strong ethics to ensure best practices and to foster trust at all levels.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to exceptional quality of data and information provided; committed to the attainment of shared and measurable goals.
- Brand Steward: Embodies their role in growing and protecting the reputation of IPMA’s work, ensuring the association of the IPMA brand with premiere products and innovation, providing sought after opinions and subject matter expertise.
- Team-Builder: Supports and respects the staff; fosters commitment, trust, and unified goals among all. Listens, supports and encourages others to hold one another accountable for team successes.
- Continual Learner: Understands the need to adapt and stay current with changes in the healthcare environment; creates opportunities for learning for staff and board.
- Strategically Impatient: Able to keep initiatives moving forward at a pace which meets the priorities of IPMA and the needs of the larger community.
- Technologically Savvy: Exhibits a mastery of web, video, secure databases and technical tools to allow the association to best serve its partners.
- Innovative: Possesses a creative and aspirational approach when thinking about programs and services. Creates and embraces new ideas and strategies to better serve partners and the profession into the future.