President and Chief Executive Officer
The QTI Group has been exclusively retained by Forward Janesville to recruit for their new President and Chief Executive Officer. The following describes position key responsibilities, qualifications, information about Forward Janesville, the Janesville Community, and the application process.
Download the PDF to the right to see even more information than what is outlined below!
Forward Janesville, Inc. (FJI) leads private sector economic and community development efforts to ensure the continued health and prosperity of business and industry in Janesville.
In 1991, The Janesville Chamber of Commerce and the Janesville Economic Development Coordinating Organization were merged into one unified organization with a focused mission to create jobs. Since that time, FJI has stepped forward to undertake the challenges and initiatives that support business.
Today, Forward Janesville leads the private sector economic and community development efforts to ensure the continued health and prosperity of business and industry in Janesville and Rock County. A member driven organization with over 500 members focusing on five main areas: Member Service, Economic Development, Government Relations, Workforce & Education Assistance and Community Partnerships.
John Beckord, President since 2001, leads a staff of four and works with an 18-member Board of Directors and up to 50 Community Ambassadors to accomplish FJ’s mission. Past Presidents of the Board are asked to serve on the Foundation Board, which now serves as an advisory council to the Executive Committee. Staff positions include:
- VP of Government Affairs and Education
- Membership and Event Director
- Accounting and Office Manager
|Board of Directors||18|
This represents the core staff structure. From time to time, there is special funding to invest in other key positions tied to strategic priorities.
The President and Chief Executive Officer will serve as the dynamic leader of Forward Janesville. With support from the board of directors, this collaborative leader, with a drive to make a difference, will be a strong relationship builder, a voice for the business community and will strategize and coordinate the long range planning and the program of work while leading the team and volunteers of Forward Janesville. Janesville, Wisconsin is an authentic Midwest community embedded in an important regional economic area that has great growth potential both from within and for outside investment. The person in this role is required to reside in the Janesville, Wisconsin, area or be open to relocating.
- Create a highly visible organization to address economic and community development issues affecting Janesville and Rock County.
- Assume a leadership role in introducing, evaluating, and responding to important business and community issues facing Janesville. Maintain current knowledge of the business and political climate of the city and county.
- Based on proper research of community needs, the President must anticipate emerging and long-range problems and recommend Forward Janesville, Inc., and community programs to meet such problems through the established Strategic Planning Process.
- Plan, organize, and implement programs to address the needs of Forward Janesville Members.
- Ensure the support of retention and expansion initiatives that benefit existing Janesville companies.
- Coordinates the Initiatives of Forward Janesville with other economic and community development organizations in Rock County to create regional economic development initiatives.
- Develop the annual budget to Program of Work goals. As approved by the Board, the President is responsible for all expenditures within the framework of the budget.
- Responsible for monthly financial statements. Ensures financial records of Forward Janesville, Inc. are reviewed annually as required by the bylaws. Seeks maximum staff efficiency in all finical procedures.
- Oversee membership recruitment and services. Coordinate the formation and operation of volunteer committees.
- Provide executive staff support for the major councils such as, Government Relations Council, Education Council, Downtown Council, AriseNow and Ambassador Council.
- Responsible for the leadership and management of the Forward Janesville staff.
- Work with the state legislature and congressional delegation regarding laws and regulations that impact economic development.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with the State of Wisconsin, City Manager, County Administrator, Education Providers, and other public and private organization having interest in economic and community development.
- Participate in regional and statewide economic development programs and public policy development. Aggressively pursue economic development initiatives that result in business and industrial diversification.
- Under the direction of a constantly evolving Board of Directors and an annually changing roster of officers, the President is responsible for maintaining continuity and consistency in programming. Responsible liaising with the Board of Directors, earning and maintaining the confidence of the Board, individually and collectively
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance or business, MBA preferred. Extraordinary experience and results coupled with ongoing learning could substitute for formal education.
- Experience: 10 years minimum industry experience, and 5 years minimum executive level experience (VP, EVP, or C-Level), plus a history of community involvement.
- Leadership Skills: Analytical problem solving, interpersonal skills, communication, collaboration, employee coaching, creativity, public speaking, decision-making, goal orientation and a well-grounded leadership presence.
About Janesville, Wisconsin
Janesville is a moderately sized city with a population of 63,575 located on the Rock River in the rolling hills, rich fields, and verdant woodlands of scenic south-central Wisconsin. Janesville was founded in 1836 and has experienced steady growth and development ever since. Janesville's long history of strong industry and economic success has helped turn the city into a major commercial and industrial center for the Stateline area. Forward Janesville Inc. leads private sector economic and community development efforts to ensure the continued health and prosperity of business and industry in Janesville.
In 2019 ranked 27th in the Country: Janesville Livability
Janesville Promise - Community:
For people wanting to live, work, study or invest in a small city atmosphere, Janesville provides the community with affordable living, excellent schools, low crime, quality community services, and abundant year-round recreation, where they can feel a sense of connection, well-being, and success.
Janesville Promise - Business:
For people wanting to invest and succeed in a small Wisconsin city, Janesville provides the resilient, hardworking community, market access, networks, affordable living, and business friendly approach , where they can feel a sense of confidence, success, and achievement.
Janesville Promise - Downtown:
For people living in, or visiting Janesville, Downtown Janesville provides the vibrant neighborhood where commerce, culture, entertainment, history, and recreation intersect, where they can feel a sense of connection, well-being, and success.