Credit Union National Association is recruiting for an Associate Manager, Payroll Operations via The QTI Group.
Credit Union National Association (CUNA) is the most influential financial services trade association and the only national association that advocates on behalf of all of America's credit unions. We’ve been named a Top Workplace for two years in a row by the Wisconsin State Journal (WSJ).
Credit Union National Association is excited to announce an opening for an Associate Manager, Payroll Operations to join their finance team. This integral position is a part of their leadership team and will require strong interpersonal skills for interacting with finance and accounting colleagues, departments, and leadership throughout the organization. This role is accountable for all aspects of Payroll and Accounts Payable and the related systems and processes, in addition to supporting the other functions within the Accounting Operations team.
This position will be considered a hybrid with a blend of remote and in-office at CUNA’s Madison, Wisconsin office.
- Accountable for the overall compliance, efficacy, and success of all ‘cash out’ accounts payable transactions and activities for CUNA and CUNA affiliates.
- Oversee the payroll entry and transactions of other team members and serve as an escalation point on payroll issues.
- Drive activities such as management of payroll general ledger activity. Backup for payroll processing when accounting operations specialist is out of the office. Guide strategic direction to payroll changes and updates, in accordance with payroll and taxation rules that may require changes to our system or processor.
- Assume ownership on variable activity involving 990’s and other complex reporting related to payables.
- Own the maintenance and evolution of applicable payroll and AP processes and policies, updating as necessary in accordance with GAAP to meet audit standards.
- Play a key role in critical finance activities including monthly close, annual audit cycles, budgeting, and assisting Finance Business Partners to provide insightful analysis to Business Unit Leaders and Staff.
- Accountable as the business system owner and system administrator for two essential accounting systems including AvidXchange (paperless accounts payable) and Concur (expense reporting and management).
- Accountable for day-to-day systems maintenance activities such as user setup and changes and training.
- Broadly accountable for establishing, updating, and otherwise modifying business workflows in connection with other departments across the enterprise.
- Direct both finance and all departments across the enterprise to ensure accurate fulfillment of process, soliciting and gathering feedback to inspire and drive continuous improvement.
- Engage with third-party software vendors as business system owners on matters such as upgrades, enhancements, and similar.
- Support the Accounts Receivable team, backup other accounting functional areas, and assist with special projects and initiatives.
- Occasional overtime and irregular hours. There could be mandatory overtime of up to 10 hours per week during month-end and year-end close, some special projects, or new system implementations.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or accounting or relevant experience in lieu of education.
- Associate Degree in finance, accounting, or related field; or the equivalent of two-year college coursework.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) is strongly desired, but not required.
- 4+ years of experience in accounts payable and payroll. With at least 1 year of experience in payables and/or payroll oversight and/or people management, ideally in a not-for-profit environment.
- Prior experience and success leading a small team is preferred.
- Accounting technology acumen is essential; experience working specifically with Great Plains Dynamics, Paylocity, AvidXchange, and Concur is strongly preferred.
- Fully versed in Association Management Software System (AMS) such as Nimble is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to train staff and new users on various technology.
- Leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills are required.
- Brings a calm-under-pressure demeanor, particularly in situations of multiple and shifting priorities.
- Ability to travel 5 days per year.
- Ability to occasionally work overtime and irregular hours.
CUNA is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. At CUNA, we believe our differences are our strength, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Passionate / Collaborative / Inclusive / Authentic / Accountable (our Values)
Internal job grade: 9m