Credit Union National Association is recruiting for a Director of Advocacy for Congressional Relations - Democratic via The QTI Group.
Credit Union National Association (CUNA) is the most influential financial services trade association and the only national association that advocates on behalf of all of America's credit unions.
Credit Union National Association is excited to announce an opening for a Director of Advocacy for Congressional Relations - Democratic. This integral role will engage in direct legislative advocacy with Democratic Members of Congress and staff on Capitol Hill on all issues of concern to credit unions. The Director of Advocacy plays a significant role in the achievement of this priority by working with the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer and other Advocacy Team members to ensure that the statutory and regulatory environment under which credit unions operate is as favorable as possible.
This position will be in-office at CUNA’s Washington, D.C. office.
Represent Credit Unions on Capitol Hill
- Engage in direct legislative advocacy with Members of Congress and staff on Capitol Hill on all issues of concern to credit unions, in coordination with the department leadership.
- Establish and maintain relationships with legislative aides on both sides of Capitol Hill. Use extensive member and staff network to convey CUNAs concerns on issues affecting credit unions.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other industry representatives.
- Attend hearings, mark-ups, and conference committees to report on and evaluate events and to be available to Members of Congress and staff as a resource.
Provide Policy Analysis
- Analyze legislative issues and their potential impact on credit unions. Anticipate their course through Congress and advise the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer and Chief Advocacy Officer.
- Advise Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer on the strategic and tactical aspects of legislative issues and outline possible courses of action to pursue.
- Identify emerging legislative developments and obtain politically important intelligence from Congressional and industry sources.
- Maintain expertise on all legislative issues and develop subject matter expertise on one or more critical issues to credit unions.
- Write legislative updates, reports, and Hill letters; contribute to the development of testimony; and prepare written materials for CUNA meetings and committees describing legislative impact and considerations.
Contribute to the Advocacy Team
- Participate in issue-based teams, as assigned.
- Support the Advocacy Team efforts related to regulatory affairs and state governmental affairs.
- Collaborate with other CUNA staff: look for opportunities to provide support within and outside of the Advocacy Team.
- Liaison to CUNA committees, as assigned.
- Assist the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer with duties, as assigned.
Engage in Political Advocacy
- In coordination with the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer, work with Political Affairs Staff to influence CUNA political strategy
- Attend fundraisers on Capitol Hill, as assigned.
- Interact with key lawmakers and staff, and underscore CUNA’s political commitments.
Provide Member Services
- Serve as staff liaison to CUNA committees and subcommittees, as assigned.
- Support CUNA member meetings on Capitol Hill.
- Represent CUNA at Congressional meetings, league and credit union functions, including oral presentations at conferences.
- Respond to Member inquiries and feedback.
- 4+ years of experience working in legislative affairs, lobbying, political intelligence, financial services, or in positions that have a similar focus.
- Prior Capitol Hill Staff experience is required.
- A history of outstanding performance in relevant areas, including a pattern of promotion and recognition for the quality of work effort.
- Demonstrated expertise in subject matter critical to the success of credit union advocacy.
- Understanding of the legislative process and a well-developed and well-maintained network of Congressional and industry contacts is required.
- Ability to understand the process and policy while being able to convey the impact on credit unions.
- Ability to contribute to the development of key arguments and message points on the most critical legislative issues facing credit unions and maintain subject matter expertise on all legislative issues relevant to credit unions.
- Ability to persuade others of the merits of CUNA’s positions and to handle several complex issues at the same time, while dealing with a variety of personalities who affect the legislative process.
- Ability to make well-reasoned judgments, foresee possible outcomes, and communicate, through written and oral communications, complicated issues to members, legislators, their staff, and others in an informative and easily understood manner.
- Ability to be a team player, handle several issues concurrently, and work well within a dynamic department.
- Ability to travel up to 10 days annually.
CUNA is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. At CUNA, we believe our differences are our strength, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Passionate / Collaborative / Inclusive / Authentic / Accountable (our Values)
Internal job grade: 13