Director of Advocacy
- Washington, DC
- Direct Hire - Full Time
Credit Union National Association is recruiting for a Director of Advocacy via QTI Executive & Professional Search.
Credit Union National Association (CUNA) is the most influential financial services trade association and the only national association that advocates on behalf of all of America's credit unions. We’ve been named a Top Workplace for two years in a row by the Wisconsin State Journal (WSJ).
Credit Union National Association is excited to announce an opening for a Director of Advocacy for Congressional Relations. This integral role will engage in direct democratic legislative advocacy with Members of Congress and staff on Capitol Hill on all issues of concern to credit unions. The Director of Advocacy plays a significant role in the achievement of this priority by working with the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer and other Advocacy Team members to ensure that the statutory and regulatory environment under which credit unions operate is as favorable as possible.
Represent Credit Unions on Capitol Hill
- Engage in direct legislative advocacy with Members of Congress and staff on Capitol Hill on all issues of concern to credit unions, in coordination with the department leadership.
- Establish and maintain relationships with legislative aides on both sides of Capitol Hill. Use extensive member and staff network to convey CUNAs concerns on issues affecting credit unions.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other industry representatives.
- Attend hearings, mark-ups, and conference committees to report on and evaluate events and to be available to Members of Congress and staff as a resource.
Provide Policy Analysis
- Analyze legislative issues and their potential impact on credit unions. Anticipate their course through Congress and advise the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer and Chief Advocacy Officer.
- Advise Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer on the strategic and tactical aspects of legislative issues and outline possible courses of action to pursue.
- Identify emerging legislative developments and obtain politically important intelligence from Congressional and industry sources.
- Maintain expertise on all legislative issues and develop subject matter expertise on one or more critical issues to credit unions.
- Write legislative updates, reports, and Hill letters; contribute to the development of testimony; and prepare written materials for CUNA meetings and committees describing legislative impact and considerations.
Contribute to the Advocacy Team
- Participate in issue-based teams, as assigned.
- Support the Advocacy Team efforts related to regulatory affairs and state governmental affairs.
- Collaborate with other CUNA staff: look for opportunities to provide support within and outside of the Advocacy Team.
- Liaison to CUNA committees, as assigned.
- Assist the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer with duties, as assigned.
Engage in Political Advocacy
- In coordination with the Deputy Chief Advocacy Officer, work with Political Affairs Staff to influence CUNA political strategy
- Attend fundraisers on Capitol Hill, as assigned.
- Interact with key lawmakers and staff, and underscore CUNA’s political commitments.
Provide Member Services
- Serve as staff liaison to CUNA committees and subcommittees, as assigned.
- Support CUNA member meetings on Capitol Hill.
- Represent CUNA at Congressional meetings, league, and credit union functions, including oral presentations at conferences.
- Respond to Member inquiries and feedback.
- 7 – 10 years of experience working in legislative affairs, lobbying, political intelligence, financial services, or in positions that have a similar focus.
- A history of outstanding performance in relevant areas, including a pattern of promotion and recognition for the quality of work effort.
- Demonstrated expertise in subject matter critical to the success of credit union advocacy.
- The position requires an understanding of the legislative process and a well-developed and well-maintained network of Congressional and industry contacts. The person in this position must not only know the process and the policy but also be able to understand and convey the impact on credit unions.
- The person in this position is expected to contribute to the development of key arguments and message points on the most critical legislative issues facing credit unions and will be expected to maintain subject matter expertise on all legislative issues relevant to credit unions.
- Ability to persuade others of the merits of CUNA’s positions and to handle several complex issues at the same time, while dealing with a variety of personalities who affect the legislative process.
- Ability to make well-reasoned judgments, foresee possible outcomes, and communicate, through written and oral communications, complicated issues to members, legislators, their staff, and others in an informative and easily understood manner.
- This person serves as a member of several issue-based teams within the Advocacy Department and may serve as a key staff liaison with CUNA committees and subcommittees which help to develop CUNA policy on public policy issues.
- It is essential that the individual holding this position be a team player, handle several issues concurrently, and work well within a dynamic department. This position collaborates closely with members of other departments at CUNA.
- Ability to travel up to 10 days annually
Passionate / Collaborative / Inclusive / Authentic / Accountable (our Values)
Internal job grade: 14