Vice President of Human Resources
- Madison, WI
- Direct Hire - Full Time
- First Shift
- Human Resources
The QTI Group is partnering with National Guardian Life Insurance to recruit and hire their VP of Human Resources. Established in 1909 National Guardian Life Insurance Company is an insurance company headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin. Licensed to do business in 49 states and the District of Columbia, NGL markets preneed, individual life, and small fixed annuities, as well as group markets products, including dental/vision products, and specialized medical indemnity gap products. Under the NGL umbrella are the following business entities:
- Commercial Travelers Life Insurance Company (CT)
- Insurance Capital Group
With new leadership in 2018/2019, NGL has embraced a rapid pace of transition to expand and update its business services and processes to meet changing customer needs. The work environment is results-oriented, energetic, and dynamic.
The Vice President of Human Resources (VP of HR) will serve as a strategic and trusted partner to the leadership team, to help shape and drive an innovative and empowering culture of change, moving quickly on decisions and managing multiple priority projects. This will require flexibility and creativity, a sense of urgency, attention to detail, risk-informed decision-making, and strong listening skills. The VP of HR must be adept at establishing a strategic vision of the future which embraces collaborative work, remote work, and innovative internal resources. They must be able to weave these significant shifts into all organizational activity and strategies. They will need to communicate a compelling picture of NGL’s future that helps others understand how to implement these new business objectives and attract top talent throughout the organization.
This person will augment these visionary culture changes within NGL by supporting teams to approach challenges in new ways, to take quick action, and to encourage a lean mindset. The VP of HR will bring a fresh perspective on total rewards, build professional development and career mapping, and encourage a healthy and effective work environment. This person will implement innovative rewards structures and disciplines to reinforce behaviors and attract talent that identifies with this culture shift, ultimately enabling NGL to grow revenue and become an employer of choice.
- Collaborate with and advise the CEO, senior management, and the Board of Directors about how to best develop and harness Human Resources, including change management, innovative organizational design and alignment of the workforce with organizational goals.
- Recognize and identify external business realities, trends and opportunities, and adapt HR practices and resources to meet a changing environment.
- Encourage creative thinking and risk-informed decision-making; focusing less on managing and focusing more on leading teams to enable employees to be creative problem solvers.
- Oversee, develop and enhance integrated performance management systems to ensure a focus on business goals; development of employee capabilities and career potential; aligned reward systems; retention of talent, developing remote work situations when beneficial or necessary, ensuring engagement and ongoing professional development with an emphasis on continuous improvement, learning and accountability.
- Design and implement lean HR systems and processes to simplify project approaches and implement changes more quickly.
- Develop and manage the HR department’s annual budget; provide a clear understanding of the human resource impact of operational and financial decisions and align HR investments with business goals.
- Bring creative solutions to improve use of office space to encourage and bolster collaboration and teamwork.
- Review and develop a Total Rewards philosophy, including the analysis of existing benefit programs to ensure market competitiveness; partner with benefits team to implement new benefit programs or changes.
- Lead organizational development strategy to address succession planning throughout the company; develop staffing strategies to identify talent within and outside the organization.
- Foster an inclusive environment of inquisitiveness, transparency, open communication, trust and teamwork.
- Oversee a team of HR professionals who are responsible for partnering with business leaders to help them manage hiring, terminations, performance feedback process, promotion process, and employee safety. Ensure HR related policies are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, and consistent with the strategic vision.
- Practical experience and knowledge of strategic human resources practices, with a particular emphasis on competitive talent acquisition, workforce development, diversity, equity and inclusion, organizational development and change management, performance evaluation and compensation systems.
- Proven experience leading a culture of lean thinking, supporting teams to think about how to enhance and improve processes and practices, rather than maintaining status quo.
- Experience in developing career advancement plans that encourage employees to grow.
- Demonstrated ability to enhance and/or develop and implement human resources programs and procedures to improve overall operations and organizational effectiveness.
- Experience successfully leading an organization through merger and acquisition activity.
- Demonstrated ability to foster a healthy organizational culture by creating an environment characterized by high levels of engagement and high performance developed through teamwork and collaboration.
- Affinity for technology and automation in HR processes.
- Proven leadership and management skills, with the superior interpersonal skills to influence, inspire, and engage staff.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with all departments and employees in a collaborative environment; exemplify integrity, serving as a role model who exudes trust, transparency, inclusiveness and maintaining the highest of professional standards.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Human Resources or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- PHR or SPHR preferred.